Police Chief Superintendent
The Firearm Section was created with three personnel. The Section was tasked to handle the issuance of firearm permits to early Filipino and American employees.
In November 15 1935, the functions of the Firearms Section diversified. Aside from the issuance of firearm licenses, it also controlled and supervised the activities of firearm dealers, gun clubs and explosives licenses nationwide. The storage of all confiscated, captured, surrendered, and abandoned firearms, ammunition and explosives.
During the liberation in 1945 the country was swamped with thousands of loose firearms in the hands of the military personnel, ex-guerillas and civilians. In recognition of the grave danger it might bring. The Military Police Command of the Philippine Army reorganized the Firearms Section under the name of Firearms, Games and Explosives Section (FGES). Aside from the existing functions, FGES also implemented the registration of loose firearms without any pre-qualification of applicants.
Shortly after the declaration of the Independence in 1946, the responsibility of monitoring the firearms was transferred to the Philippine Constabulary. The problems on loose firearms caused the need for law-abiding citizens to possess guns to protect life and property. Security agencies were established, gun stores were set up and gun clubs were organized.
After the war ended the reconstruction and development efforts of the government and private sectors paved way for the reopening of mines, construction and logging. These activities provided the opportunity for the extensive use of explosives.
It was under the Philippine Constabulary that FGES was renamed Firearms and Explosives Unit (FEU) and became a separate unit. However on October 8, 1980 FEU was places under the supervision of the Civil Security Force Command. And with the establishment of the Philippine National Police under RA 6975, FEU was changed to Firearms and Explosives Office (FEO).